The Minnetonka Police Department has a rich tradition of using K-9 partners in police work. K-9s are used for search and rescue, drug identification, tracking of criminal suspects, and crime prevention work.
The Minnetonka Police Department established its K-9 unit in 1976, with Jim Rasicot as the first K-9 handler. Since then, the Minnetonka Police Department has had 10 K-9 handlers and 17 dogs. Fifteen of the dogs have been German shepherds; the other two dogs were Belgian Malanois.
Officers and their K9s
- Officer Jim Rasicot: King & Cabe
- Officer Judd Beattie: Otto
- Officer Lowell Ballard: Otto
- Officer Bob Craig: Bumper, Tonka & Logan
- Officer Rick Dvorak: DJ & Nellis
- Officer Janet Koch: Major, Wodon & Levi
- Officer Andy Gardner: Cora
- Officer Kevin Anderson: Arco
- Officer Ryan Piper: Astro & Krieger
- Officer Troy Denneson: Bode & Ringo
- Officer Tim Olson: Kato
- Officer Joe Mace: Duke