The following policies have been put in place by the Shady Oak Beach in order to ensure a safe, positive and healthy environment. Additional policies will be added/amended as circumstances warrant.
- Season Passes: Residents and non-residents can purchase a season pass good for the entire beach season. Season passes are non-refundable.
- Daily Passes: Individuals may pay a one-day admission rate to enter the beach.
- All children under 12 must be accompanied by a responsible adult.
General Facility Policies
- Use of the facility is considered a privilege. Individuals not complying with the established policies and procedures may be asked to leave and/or banned from the facility.
- All concerns and maintenance needs should be reported to the front gate staff or Coordinator on duty.
- The use of any type of camera which includes cell phones, camera, and video recorders are prohibited. This applies to all activity spaces and restrooms.
- Personal boom boxes or radios, bikes, and dogs are not allowed in the facility.
- The facility reserves the right to deny admission to anyone who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.
- Any persons having an infectious or communicable disease shall be excluded from using the beach.
- The city of Minnetonka and Shady Oak Beach, and its personnel, are not responsible for items lost, stolen, left on site, or left in vehicle.
- Shady Oak Beach will not post outside flyers/brochures inside the gate. Selling products or services, soliciting for personal gain is prohibited.
- Shady Oak Beach offers a number of birthday party packages and therefore, we do not allow drop in parties. The facility reserves the right to deny admission to anyone who appears to be having a drop in birthday party.
- No beach umbrellas on grass areas.
Food, Beverages and Tobacco Use
- All types of tobacco and e-cig use are prohibited. Shady Oak Beach is a smoke-free environment.
- Possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs are prohibited in the beach area.
- Outside food and beverages (within reason) are allowed inside the beach gate. Glass bottles/containers are prohibited.
Swim & Beach Area Rules
- No pushing others on/off the docks or in the water.
- No horseplay.
- No jumping off the side of the high dive or diving board.
- Only one person allowed on the diving board at a time.
- Only one person allowed on the ladders at a time.
- No hanging on the high dive.
- No sitting on the diving board.
- No inward dives off the dock.
- No handstands or cartwheels allowed off the docks.
- Only feet-first jumps allowed off the small docks.
- No hanging/climbing on the big dock supports.
- No swimming under any of the docks.
- No swimming under the swivel chairs.
- No hanging/sitting on the buoys or buoy lines.
- No swimming outside of the buoy line.
- No watercraft in the swim area.
- No climbing on the guard chairs.
- No playing cap/tee game.
- No fishing inside the swim area.
- No throwing sand or rocks.
- All inflatables within reasonable size must stay on the shallow side of the blue/white buoy lines.
- No water wings allowed without a chest strap.
- Swimmers must be able to swim completely unassisted past the blue/white buoy line.
- Proper swim wear is required. Denim jeans, cut-offs or t-shirts are not permitted.
- Any swimmers who are not potty-trained must wear proper swim pants with snug-fitting elastic legs and waists or disposable swim diapers. A swim suit may be worn over the rubber or vinyl swim pants.
- Lifejackets must be worn at all times while using rented watercrafts.
- Lifeguards have the authority to restrict swimmers from the big dock if safety is a concern.
- No skateboarding or biking in the beach area.
- No metal detectors inside the gate during the beach season.
- No public nudity.
- No swearing.
- No illegal activities.
- Safety breaks will be implemented daily at 1 p.m. & 5 p.m. Patrons must clear the water for the duration of the break (approx. 10 minutes). Beach staff have the right to implement an additional break at 3 p.m. if they feel it is warranted by weather conditions or staff need.
Weather Guidelines & Early Closures
- Shady Oak Beach will be closed if the following conditions exist:
- The temperature is 65 degrees or colder, and/or,
- The number of swimmers is fewer than 15 (within a 2-hour window before 5 p.m. or at any point after 5 p.m.).
- Staff has discretion to close the facility in case of an emergency or inclement weather. Information will be on the weather hotline (952-939-8355).