Xcel Energy is in the process of retrofitting their streetlights with Light Emitting Diode (LED) lighting that offers energy savings and enhanced performance.
This project is part of Xcel’s multi-year effort to upgrade all Xcel Energy-owned cobra head, high-pressure sodium streetlights throughout the state to LED solid-state units. Xcel is paying all costs associated with the retrofits, including removal and salvage of old lights and installation of the new fixtures.
The majority of streetlights in Minnetonka are owned by Xcel Energy and will therefore be retrofitted as part of the project. The new LED lights offer a range of benefits, including:
- Increased efficiency: LEDs have the potential to cut general lighting energy usage in half through 2030, helping the city to save on energy costs and reduce carbon emissions.
- Lower maintenance: LEDs have a longer life, therefore requiring less maintenance and increased reliability.
- Improved safety: LED lights reduce glare and focus the light directly on the areas to be lit. They also contain no mercury, lead or other known disposable hazards.
- Reduced light trespass: Unlike conventional streetlights, LED light can be directed where it is needed most, such as sidewalks and corners.
- Enhanced controllability: LED lights turn on instantly and light levels can be controlled depending on needs.
Xcel Energy’s installation of LED streetlights began in February.
Questions? Call Xcel Energy at 612-790-3758 or click here to learn more about this statewide project.
Xcel Energy FAQ (pdf)