All recreational fires within the city of Minnetonka require a burning permit.
Recreational Fire Permit Terms and Conditions
By submitting the recreational fire permit application, the applicant agrees to the terms and conditions below. Please read all conditions carefully.
This permit is granted pursuant to Minnetonka City Code Section 900.
- The applicant is responsible for conducting, controlling and extinguishing the fire.
- The fire must be attended at all times and completely extinguished when through.
- The applicant must have a means of extinguishing the fire readily available while burning.
- The size of the fire shall not exceed 3 feet by 3 feet.
- Fire pits must be a minimum of 10 feet off the property line
- Wood for burning must be a minimum of 3 inches in diameter or bigger
- No trash, brush, leaves or treated lumber may be burned. Public Works provides a brush drop-off. For dates, times and additional information, please see the Brush Drop-Off page.
- The applicant agrees to extinguish their fire if the smoke is unreasonably offensive or injurious to others as determined by the city.
- This permit is valid only on the property listed. The fire may not extend beyond the boundaries of that property.
- A recreational fire permit does not relieve the applicant from liability due to damage resulting from the fire or smoke.
- This permit is not required to be renewed annually, but may be rescinded or cancelled by the Minnetonka Fire Department at any time.
- As the permit holder, you are reminded to be considerate of your neighbors when having a recreational fire. Be aware of the smoke from your fire traveling onto adjoining property where people may have breathing problems such as asthma or emphysema. The weather should also be considered before burning as high winds or dry conditions may not be the best time to have a fire.
Recreational Fire Permit Application
Please fill out the following form to request a recreational fire permit from the City of Minnetonka. A copy of the certificate will be emailed to you upon completion of the form. Don’t forget to print a copy of it for your records, as your printed copy serves as the permit and you will not receive a copy in the mail. You must display a copy of this completed permit upon demand.
Please note, you only need to complete the recreational fire permit application if you have not previously requested a recreational fire permit at this address - the permit is not required to be renewed annually.
Call the Minnetonka Fire Department at 952-939-8598 with questions.