Shady Oak Beach and Community Play Area
Caution: Shady Oak Lake open water/thin ice this winter
The city of Minnetonka will be installing and operating an aeration system in Shady Oak Lake, starting December 3, 2013, that will create open water and thin ice around the dock structure in the water. People using the lake should exercise extreme caution when in or around the lake and shoreline area. The aerator is located on the southeast corner of the dock structure. Questions? Call recreation services at 952.939.8203.
Facility manager: Jenny Garvey
Experience and enjoy the summer season at Shady Oak Beach located at 5200 Shady Oak Road in Minnetonka. This facility is owned by the City of Hopkins, and operated by the City of Minnetonka’s Recreation Department.
This 85-acre, fully recreational area offers 76′ of sandy beach shoreline and clear spring-fed waters, as well as great amenities including multi-age playground area (newly installed in 2011), lifeguards, swimming, high dive, concessions, changing area, canoe rental, sand volleyball, fishing and free parking.
2013 Beach Hours and
Days of Operation
(hours are subject to change)
- June 7–August 1: 10 a.m.–9 p.m.
- August 2–August 25: 10 a.m.–8 p.m.
Swimming in the lake will end a half hour before sunset. A closing time will be posted at the beach.
Please note hours of operations on these days:
- July 4: 10 a.m.–7 p.m.
Daily Entrance Admission (2013 rate)
- $6 per person (ages 2 and under are free)
- Twilight rate: $3 per person after 6 p.m.
- Call 952.939.8203 to purchase by phone using a credit card. Visa or Master Card is accepted.
- Visit Minnetonka City Hall, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Visit Shady Oak Beach starting June 7: cash, checks, or credit card (Visa or Master Card only!)
- By mail: Please use the Hopkins-Minnetonka Recreation Services brochure and complete the Household Information. Enclose check or credit card information.
- Make checks payable to: Recreation Services.
2013 season pass rates
Season pass rates: buy early and save!
Extra special savings: If you purchase your season pass in person at Recreation Services before April 12, you will receive a free daily admission coupon per season pass purchased. This does not apply for phone, faxed or mailed in purchases.
|Purchased by 4:30 p.m. June 6 or after July 31||1–3 passes||$12/pass||$26/pass|
|Purchased June 7–July 31||1–3 passes||$17/pass||$31/pass|
- We reserve the authority to limit the amount of passes sold to families.
- Additional pass purchase rate is only granted during initial purchase of season passes.
- Additional passes are intended to be for family members living in same household.
- Ages 2 and under are free.
- All children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
All persons not included on a season pass will need to pay a daily admission of $6 to use the beach.
If you already have a season pass ID card, you do not need a new card; however, remember to always bring it with you to the beach! Your card automatically becomes valid with the purchase of a 2013 season pass.
- Season passes are not sold or issued at Hopkins City Hall.
- The Membership Card ID is used to verify your purchase of a 2013 season pass every time you access Shady Oak Beach. Failure to provide a valid Membership Card ID at the gate entrance will result in a delay while staff verifies your season pass.
Reserving the Picnic Shelter
Please refer to the picnic shelter reservations page for details on how to reserve the picnic shelter.