Shady Oak Beach and Community Play Area
Shady Oak Beach and Libbs Lake are now closed for the 2014 season.
Facility manager: Jenny Garvey
Experience and enjoy the summer season at Shady Oak Beach located at 5200 Shady Oak Road in Minnetonka. This facility is owned by the City of Hopkins, and operated by the City of Minnetonka’s Recreation Department.
This 85-acre, fully recreational area offers 76′ of sandy beach shoreline and clear spring-fed waters, as well as great amenities including multi-age playground area (newly installed in 2011), lifeguards, swimming, high dive, concessions, changing area, canoe rental, sand volleyball, fishing and free parking.
Daily Entrance Admission (2014 rate)
- $6 per person (ages 2 and under are free)
- Twilight rate: $3 per person after 6 p.m.
- Call 952.939.8203 to purchase by phone using a credit card. Visa or Master Card is accepted.
- Visit Minnetonka City Hall, Monday–Friday, 8 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
- Visit Shady Oak Beach starting June 6: cash, checks, or credit card (Visa or Master Card only!)
- Make checks payable to: Recreation Services.
2014 season pass rates
Season pass rates: buy early and save!
Extra special savings: If you purchase your season pass in person at Recreation Services before April 9, you will receive a free one day admission coupon per season pass purchased. This does not apply for phone, faxed or mailed in purchases.
|Purchased by 4:30 p.m. June 5 or after July 31||1–3 passes||$12/pass||$26/pass|
|Purchased June 6–July 31||1–3 passes||$17/pass||$31/pass|
- We reserve the authority to limit the amount of passes sold to families.
- Additional pass purchase rate is only granted during initial purchase of season passes.
- Additional passes are intended to be for family members living in same household.
- Ages 2 and under are free.
- All children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult
All persons not included on a season pass will need to pay a daily admission of $6 to use the beach.
If you already have a season pass ID card, you do not need a new card; however, remember to always bring it with you to the beach! Your card automatically becomes valid with the purchase of a 2014 season pass.
- Season passes are not sold or issued at Hopkins City Hall.
- The Membership Card ID is used to verify your purchase of a 2014 season pass every time you access Shady Oak Beach. Failure to provide a valid Membership Card ID at the gate entrance will result in a delay while staff verifies your season pass.
Groups reservations are from 12–6 p.m.
Contact Jenny Garvey for reservations at least seven days in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Resident:$3.50 per person
- Non-resident: $4 per person
- Chaperones and bus drivers are free
Groups that are 20 and over will be given the group rate, and are required to have a staff ratio of one adult to ten youth.
We ask that the adults take an active role in supervising their group. Group leaders must notify Jenny Garvey at least three days in advance if there are any changes to your reservation. We ask for this notification so we can make the proper accommodations to ensure a safe environment for all patrons of the beach.
No glass bottles or cans
Glass bottles or cans are not allowed in the beach area. Please let your participants know this ahead of time. We notice many children coming in with a packed lunch for the day that have cans. If we see they have cans they will be taken away.
Shady Oak Beach Rules
- No cans or glass are allowed within the gated area.
- Groups are not allowed before 12 p.m.
- Any persons having an infectious or communicable disease shall be excluded from using the beach.
- All children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
- The beach is smoke and tobacco free.
- Flotation objects must be kept in designated areas.
- Large flotation objects are not allowed.
- Cut off jeans, thongs or pants are not proper swimwear.
- No pets allowed within the gated area.
Other amenities at Shady Oak Beach
- Sand volleyball: no charge, but equipment must be checked out at admissions
- Canoe, kayak, SUP rentals: available at admissions for a fee
- Playground areas
- Concession stand
- First-aid station
- Family, women and men’s restrooms/changing areas.
Reserving the Picnic Shelter
Please refer to the picnic shelter reservations page for details on how to reserve the picnic shelter.