Some types of home occupations require city approval

Home occupations are businesses run out of the home, where the home is the primary use of the property. No permit is required if the business does not change the character of the home, there is no outside storage, no signage, and no noticeable increase in traffic or noise. Only persons who reside in the dwelling may be employed in the business. If a resident wishes to operate a home business beyond the requirements of a permitted home occupation, such as having an outside employee or having one commercial vehicle, he/she must obtain a conditional use permit.

Contact the planning division, 952.939.8290, for more information.