Business in Minnetonka
Minnetonka has always been a great place for business. Since its beginnings as a settlement built around the first privately owned sawmill west of the Mississippi River, to its current status as the home of several multinational corporations, Minnetonka has always been and continues to be seen as an attractive place for business.
Minnetonka has many attributes that make it an ideal city to locate and do business including:
• A convenient Twin Cities location.
• A highly educated workforce. According to the U.S. Census Bureau in 2013, 97.5 percent had obtained a high school education and 55 percent had a bachelor’s degree or higher.
• Close proximity to transportation modes, including local and international airports, highways and major roads and railways.
• Reputation as a wonderful place to live with a range of housing opportunities and charming neighborhoods.
• Highly regarded natural resources and recreational opportunities.
• Close proximity to shopping and entertainment.
• Notable school districts.
• City administration that values business and industry.
Although Minnetonka is home to several multinational and regional corporations, the city realizes the importance of locally owned and operated neighborhood businesses to its economy and livability. The city places emphasis on building strong, lasting relationships with its business community, no matter how large or small!
The Community Development Department staffs the Minnetonka’s Economic Development Authority, which undertakes economic development and affordable housing efforts. The city also partners with different organizations to provide additional programs and assistance.